Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sometimes i mutter "take me back"


Once in a while - but only once in a while - i wake up and meander along the 7 minute hilly walk way up on the peak of hong kong - I work my way through the thick air and drenching humidity to my designated spot for my ride to the office - and along those stumblings I sometimes find I miss my old pre-work morning laps in regents park in London. I miss the white jersey guy who sprints by me and throws a couple fist pumps as he edges out the commuter kid at the stop sign. I miss the one legged black guy who bangs out laps in the mid 30's. I miss the douches of the london dynamos who leer disapprovingly at my 10 year old aluminum de-rosa. I miss ridercali offering me his other glove as my knuckles turn blue. I miss getting hassled by the park security guard as i coast through a red light on a car-less road. But then, like a good breakfast - the feeling is digested and passes. And i reflect on the fact that its not regents I miss - its the routine. So with a few extra kilos that have snuck into my mid section - i make my way to the gym at the american club and sit on the stationary bike for 20 minutes - here I sweat alongside the blackberry tappers faking another workout wondering if that jackass in the white jersey is missing me.

4 comments:

RiderNOSHOW said...

That's a nice post. We miss you Tom. Looking forward to when you are back on the continent.

Tea said...

I've never even met you, and I miss you. Just for that...I'll wear the yellow tights.

RiderNOSHOW said...

picture of you in yellow tights please.

PCD said...

Feldberg is not the same without you!

StemCell